|Virginia Chess Federation|
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott Hotel, 45020 Aviation Dr., Dulles, VA 20166.
Rooms $104 Chess Rate, plus taxes. Reserve. by Friday, March 2nd, 2018 at 1-800-228-9200 or 703-471-9500
Who can Play?
US Chess (USCF) membership required
of all players. Virginia Residents must have active VCF
Prizes: $4,000.00 - GUARANTEED!! Yes, that's right FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS!!
Format: 5 Rounds using the Swiss-System format, with Players playing in one of two sections:
1) Open: USCF and FIDE-Rated. 1st-$750 and Champion's Plaque; 2nd-$475; 3rd-$325; 4th-$230. Top Expert and Top Class A, $200 each--awarded using USCF ratings. FIDE RULES with a 30-minute "no show" rule (e.g. if you are late by more than 30 min, you lose your game). Players will be PAIRED using their US Chess Ratings.
2) Amateur (Under 1900): USCF Rated, USCF Rules. 1st-$500 and Champion's Plaque; 2nd-$300; 3rd-$200. Top Class B, C, D, each $175. Top U1200 $165. Top Unrated $130+Trophy. Trophies to Top Under 1000, U800 and U600. Unrated Players limited to maximum of $200 in winnings and must play in the Amateur Section. Same Time Control as Open Section.
(CHANGE, Feb 12, 2018 per USCF Announcement) A Half-Point bye is available for any round in this tournament. Byes must be "locked in" no later than 30 minutes before the start of Round 2. No 1/2-point Byes for Round 5 in the OPEN SECTION. A bye is now permitted in Rd 5 in the Open Section. See Tournament Schedule below.
Friday, March 23: Round 1 at 7:30 PM. Time Control is Game-90, with a 30-second Time Increment (e.g. each player has 90 minutes to complete all of their moves, with 30 seconds added for each move). ON SITE REGISTRATION will close on Friday evening at 6:45 for players wanting to enter Round 1.
Saturday, March 24:
Round 2 at 10 AM.
Time Control is
Game-90, with a 30-second Time Increment.
Round 3 is at 3PM
with a Time Control of 40/90, SD/30, increment 30
(e.g. 90 minutes per player for the first 40
moves, then 30 minutes per player to make all remaining moves ... with 30
seconds added to your time for each move throughout the entire game)
Sunday, March 25: Rounds 4 and 5 at 10 AM and 4PM. Same Time Control as Round 3.
A player who loses in Round 1 can "re-enter" the tournament by
paying the $40 Re-Entry Fee. In other words:
starging Sunday March 18th and at the Tournament
site. $5 of entry retained for pre-tournament withdrawals.
THREE Ways to Enter ...
1. On-Line: Click this link or the button on the right to enter the tournament and pay On-line ...
2. On-site: Enter at the Hotel on Friday evening from 4-6:45PM (to enter Round 1), or Saturday from 7AM to 9:15AM (for players wanting to enter for Round 2).
3. U.S. Mail: OPTION NO LONGER AVAILABLE
Click here to see who already is registered to play, or press this button ...
|What to Bring||Please bring your Chess Set and Chess Clock. Your clock MUST BE increment capable, Delay-only or Analog clocks are not allowed.|
Cell Phones & Electronic Devices Policy
Cell Phones: If
you bring one in the Playing Hall, it must be
TURNED OFF and you must leave it ON
YOUR TABLE, FACE DOWN, and IN PLAIN VIEW at all times during your game.
-- Phone rings is a 10-min penalty.
-- If you use your phone to text, or you talk on it during your game without the TD's permission, you most likely will forfeit your game and you may be removed from the tournament.
Headphones, iWatches, iPads, Ear-Buds ... any device capable of transmitting or receiving communications: NOT ALLOWED !!
Electronic Notation Devices: The Monrois, E-notate, and PlyCount are the only authorized Electronic Notation Devices allowed. If you use these, be sure you know how to put it in "notation" mode if your opponent asks to borrow your score book. ALSO, if your battery dies on your device, you must take manual notation.
Click Here to see the VA Chess Federation's complete policy on Electronic Devices (effective 1 January 2016)
Questions: Click here to ask a Question by email to the Chief TD, NTD and FA Mike Hoffpauir