|Virginia Chess Federation|
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott Hotel
45020 Aviation Dr., Dulles, VA 20166.
Call 703-471-9500 to reserve a room ...
the Chess Rate ($136) plus taxes.
Reserve by June 3rd to get the Chess Rate.
Round 1 is 7:30 PM on
Friday June 24th
US Chess (USCF) membership required
of all players. Virginia Residents must have active VCF
Prizes: Projected Prize Payout of $5,000 based on 80 paid entries. The VCF will Guarantee ALL PLACE PRIZES, e.g. 1st-3rd place in all three sections (see below).
Format: 5 Rounds using the Swiss-System format, with Players playing in three sections: The Championship and Amateur (Under 1800) Sections will be paired and played using FIDE Pairing Rules and US Chess June 2022 ratings. The Under 1200 Section will be paired and played using US Chess Rules and June 2022 ratings.
1) Championship: US Chess and FIDE-Rated. 1st-$790 and Champion's Plaque; 2nd-$535; 3rd-$355 ... ALL GUARANTEED. Top Expert $225, Top Class $205--awarded using US Chess ratings. Top Upset Rounds 1-5 $140. FIDE RULES with a 30-minute "no show" rule (e.g. if you are late by more than 30 min, you lose your game). Players will be PAIRED using their US Chess Ratings from the June 2022 2021 US Chess Rating List. Round 1 on Friday evening at 7:30 pm.
2) Amateur (Under 1800): US Chess and FIDE-Rated. 1st-$560; 2nd-$390; 3rd-$260 ... ALL GUARANTEED. Top Class C $190, Top Class D $180, Top Upset Rds 1-5 $130, Plaque to 1st Place. FIDE RULES with a 30-minute "no show" rule (e.g. if you are late by more than 30 min, you lose your game). Players will be PAIRED using their US Chess Ratings from the June 2022 2021 US Chess Rating List. Round 1 on Friday evening at 7:30 pm.
3) Novice (Under 1200): Round 1 on Saturday at 10AM. US Chess Rated. 1st-$400; 2nd-$300; 3rd-$200 ... ALL GUARANTEED. Top Under 1000 $160, Top Under 800 $150, Top Unrted $100.
and Amateur Sections:
Schedule in the
in the Championship and Amateur Sections:
A player who loses in Round 1 can "re-enter" the tournament by
paying the $40 Re-Entry Fee. In other words:
- We will apply whatever COVID-19
restrictions are in effect at the hotel. At this time MASKS ARE
- SETS provided for all players. You may use your own set, if you wish. VCF Sets will be sanitized by the Tournament Staff in-between each round. You may use your own clock, but YOU MUST wipe it down before each game. Your Clock MUST BE INCREMENT CAPABLE.
- We will adapt our Spectator Policy to whatever COVID-19 precautions are in effect at the time of the tournament.
- NO FOOD allowed in the Playing Room. Bottled drinks with caps, including personal water bottles, will be allowed, this includes water, soda, energy drinks, etc.
Saturday June 18th; increases to
on Sunday, June 19th. Entry Fee increases again to $140 on Thursday,
June 23rd and at the Tournament
site. We will retain $5 of your entry for pre-tournament withdrawals.
THREE ways for you to enter: On-Line, Mail-in, or On-Site at the tournament.
1. On-Line: Click here or press on the "Register Me NOW!!" button below
2. Mail-in: Click here for the mail-in entry form.
3. On-Site: Open 4:00 PM - 6:45 PM on Friday at the Hotel. Also open on Saturday morning at 7:30 AM for the Novice Section and players wanting to enter the Championship or Amateur Sections for Round 2 (with a half-point Bye for Round 1).
|What to Bring||Please bring your Chess Set and Chess Clock. Your clock MUST BE increment capable, Delay-only or Analog clocks are not allowed. You will be allowed to use your own Clock, but you must WIPE IT DOWN before the start of EVERY GAME! We will provide plenty of disinfecting wipes.|
Cell Phones & Electronic Devices Policy
Cell Phones: If
you bring one in the Playing Hall, it must be
TURNED OFF and you must leave it ON
YOUR TABLE, FACE DOWN, and IN PLAIN VIEW at all times during your game.
-- Phone rings is a 10-min penalty.
-- If you use your phone to text, or you talk on it during your game without the TD's permission, you most likely will forfeit your game and you may be removed from the tournament.
Headphones, iWatches, iPads, Ear-Buds ... any device capable of transmitting or receiving communications: NOT ALLOWED !!
Electronic Notation Devices (ENDs): ENDs are allowed in the NOVICE SECTION ONLY. The Monrois, PlyCount and ChessNoteR are the only authorized Electronic Notation Devices allowed (eNotate devices are no longer authorized). If you use these, be sure you know how to put your END in "notation" mode when your opponent asks to borrow your score book. ALSO, if your battery dies on your END, you must take manual notation. ENDs may not be used in the Championship Section or Amateur Section because they are FIDE-rated and must comply with FIDE rules.
Click Here to see the VA Chess Federation's complete policy on Electronic Devices (effective 1 January 2019)
Questions: Click here to ask a Question by email to the Chief TD, FIDE Arbiter Mike Hoffpauir